I had the opportunity to go to the temple this past Saturday. On the way home a friend was sharing with me that in Relief Society they had a lesson on temples, and the question was asked, “What blessings do you receive by going to the temple?” Our conversation got me thinking, what blessings do I receive? These are some of the things that I thought of:
- A feeling of peace – I always feel so peaceful at the temple. Even outside on the temple grounds! I remember the first time I ever visited “Temple Square” in Utah. I wasn’t able to go inside the temple at that point in my life, so I just walked around the grounds and visited all of the Visitor’s Centers. I remember being in the stair-well of one Visitor Center and I noticed how peaceful I felt. I thought it was interesting that I could feel that peaceful in a simple stairwell. I’ve always felt that same way at every temple I’ve visited, whether inside or out.
- Answers to prayers – Because of the peace that is always at the temple, it’s a great place to think and pray about challenges I’m having. I seem to be able to think more clearly and understand what I need to do.
- The opportunity to be reminded of the covenants I’ve made – In my church, we believe in making and keeping covenants with the Lord. This is simply a two-way promise. We promise to do certain things (i.e. keep His commandments) and he promises us blessings in return. Going to the temple reminds me of these covenants.
- Being sealed to my family for eternity – When I was 12 years old, we had a special Family Home Evening at our house. Our family was experiencing some challenges and we were meeting for the purpose of discussing solutions. While explaining the situation to us kids, my dad said that our goal was to strive to be an “eternal family.” Later that night I wrote about the meeting in my journal. I felt good when he said that, and I knew that being and “eternal family” was what I wanted. On Saturday, I was able to see a family from my branch be sealed together. It was a happy experience to be a part of!
One thing that my friend told me when she was talking about the Relief Society lesson was that it was a bit difficult for her to describe the blessings of the temple in words. But, she said, “when you are there experiencing it, you just know”. I feel the same way!
Here are some other things I’m grateful for from my trip to the temple. I’m grateful for . . .
- . . . good friends. I rode to and from the temple with friends from my branch, and I really enjoyed my visit with them! I also saw other friends once I arrived, including the family that was sealed together. And, I saw some that I haven’t seen in a while. It was great to catch up with them!
- . . . cars and transportation. I think we are fortunate to live at a time when we have such reliable and comfortable transportation. We can visit so many places because of cars. I’m glad that we had them to take us to the temple in a relatively short period of time.
- . . . our beautiful earth. One friend was telling me about her and her husband’s trips to Germany (her husband is originally from there, so they visit when they can). She described to me sitting outside of a church there on a bench, and looking out over the snow-covered mountains. She said it was beautiful, and I believe her! We have many, many beautiful places on our earth, and that makes me happy.
What are some blessings that you receive by going to the temple?
- They Cannot Be Lost: Temple Covenants Save Families (allboutthefamily.wordpress.com)
- A Visit to Temple Square (mysouldothdelight.wordpress.com)