This is the journal I am keeping about our “health(ier) eating boot camp.” Feel free to read along!
Thursday, July 3
My kids were looking at my blog this morning and they suggested that instead of titling each post Part I, II, etc, that I should title them Day 1, 2, etc. So I’m taking the suggestion and have re-titled them all.
They also objected to me telling details about them when I describe our family’s experience. So I actually just deleted the entire post that I had written about yesterday. But I will say that yesterday was a challenging day and that my kids were feeling pretty hungry even though I had been preparing meals for them. I found myself at the end wondering if this boot camp is a good idea. There are so many obstacles! For example:
- The time it takes to plan, shop for, and prepare balanced meals
- Having to constantly stop other things I’m doing in order to prepare, eat, and clean up from meals
- At least one child seems to feel some anxiety every time we sit down to eat
- Having to pay close attention to if everyone is eating their “3 bites.”
- And now…watching them be very hungry (and still not eat their food).
This is stressful!! And so last night as I was preparing for bed I found myself thinking, “am I doing the right thing?” And this morning after a conversation I had with one child, I found myself thinking again, “am I doing the right thing?” But I continue to feel that the answer is “yes.” So, I’m moving forward with this, but I will do my best to take people’s feelings and preferences into account.