Happy Thankful Thursday! Today I’m grateful for things that made me smile this month:
1. Reading the Frog & Toad book to my 5 yr-old. I just love the simple quirkiness of these two friends, and I always smile when I read their stories.
2. I bought some cara cara oranges for the first time ever this month. One child of mine, who is not a huge fan of many fruits, and who has not wanted to eat the cutie oranges I usually buy, ate the *new* orange and then asked for seconds! Then said, “can you buy these again? They are good!”
3. My current calling is in nursery, and I couldn’t help smiling when a small child, initially reluctant to part from her dad, was more willing when I offered to hold her for a bit. These little ones are so cute and so sweet!
4. Eating Coconut Curry Chicken after a long day of fasting on Fast Sunday.
5. A surprise snow day. Here in Virginia, it doesn’t snow a whole lot, so it’s always an event if it does. And we almost always get out of school for it too. One morning, as I awoke early in the AM, and groggily set out to get my kids up, I noticed out the window that my car and driveway had a blanket of snow. I said to my husband, “Did you know it was going to snow?” He normally keeps a good eye on the weather, but had not heard about this, so it was a surprise to both of us! Then the phone rang with the message school was out. So, all of a sudden I was off the hook for my whole (not-so-pleasant) early morning routine of waking kids, helping them with breakfast, packing lunches, and keeping them on track so they don’t miss the bus. Instead, I got to enjoy some quiet time before they all woke up on their own. I loved it! It definitely made me smile.
6. And, speaking of being up earlier than everyone, this past Saturday I woke up super early and went grocery shopping while everyone was still in bed. I don’t get go to the store by myself very often, even though I find it a bit stressful to take people with me. It was a big shopping trip, I found myself pausing more than once to just enjoy the fact that I was there completely on my own!
7. The sky, with so many different variations really makes me happy. I love the different colors in the morning and evening, and the clouds in various shapes and shades. One day as I was crossing a bridge I could see fog in the distance. But it was unique, because I could actually see clear sky above it. Another time I walked outside in the evening to take my kids to their church activities. It seemed so much darker than normal to me, and then I realized it was because there was complete cloud cover with no moon or stars out. A different night, we left at the same time with clear skies and it was so much brighter! (I live in the country, without much man-made light, so I can really notice stuff like this, and I am amazed at how much light the moon and stars actually give).
8. Pictures my daughter drew. I just love these pictures (and other similar ones that she draws)!
9. Comments and likes on my blog. I always smile when I see someone has taken the time to comment on or like a post, and it was true this month too. Thank you!!